Friday 17 July 2015

Armageddon Expo 2015

Oh my gosh where do I start! 
Yesterday I went to Armageddon Expo in Wellington and it was awesome! I'm still squeeing so bad that this post will be all over the show so sorry about that but comic con guys! Comic con!
Unfortunately I have a very dull friend circle so no one that I know wanted to go but comic con is so worth going to that I didn't mind going alone. Wellington is a three hour drive away from my home (usually just over two actually but there are so many road works atm) so I left early in the morning to make the most of the day.
The con didn't open until 12 and since I arrived early I went and checked out an art gallery where they had fantasy themed pictures. I'm not usually an art fan but when the paintings have dragons in them they can hold my attention longer! I didn't take any photos as I'm never sure if I'm allowed to take pics in an art gallery and I'm too shy to ask.
Anyway! After a lunch of cheap and nasty chinese food and a sneaky visit to a Typo store to stock up on notebooks (which you will hear more about later) I headed for the con!

I think one of the main attractions at comic con is the cosplay. I wish I was brave enough to dress up as my favourite character and I really admire the dedication that some people put into their costumes. Maybe one day I will. I didn't actually get many photos as it's hard enough to get a good pic in a crowded place when you have the guts to ask someone to stand somewhere to pose for you but I'm a wimp. I did jump in on this pic though. They were actually posing for their friend. Last year they did a cosplay parade on the main stage which I thought they should have done this year too cos then I could have got some good pics XD
The stalls are the second best attraction for me at con. I know that I should say the celebrities are a big draw but NZ is such a small country that they only seem to get vague secondary T.V characters to appear here and I usually haven't even heard of them. So stalls! I find it very hard to buy geeky stuff in my home town and even the bigger out lying towns seem to have little choice so I tend to go a bit crazy at con and do my whole years geek shopping at once.
 Can you blame me though when they have stalls like these?! If only I was rich I could buy so much more.
They also had some activity stalls and a whole wrestling ring. I thought this bash a knight was pretty cool. I didn't really fancy a go myself but I sat and watched for a while.
Just about all my purchases this year seemed to have a Lord of the Rings theme. I'm a sucker for it. I bought these two necklaces because the price was pretty good and although the quality isn't amazing I have wanted the key and leaf for a long time but have never been able to afford them in any form.


 And I've saved the best for last. I bought a sword! Meep! I've wanted one for years and tbf it's only a half size but that's ok because it's a Hobbit sword! It's Bilbo's sword Sting and I love it and want to carry it everywhere with me. Isn't it awesome!

I'm so in love with my new purchases and don't be surprised if they appear again at some point. Have you been to Comic Con this year? Did you buy some totally cool items too? I'd love to know what you got.


3 comments:

  1. Yeeeeeees Comiccon! So glad you went even with no one to go with, sometimes that's better as it gives you more chance to look at what you want to look at and move on from the boring stuff XD
    I too know the struggle of taking photos of cos-players, there are so many awesome ones but i don't want to hassle people for pictures i'll probably never show to the world XD Like you, I jump in when they are posing for other people :x
    Comiccon spend can be an issue as well as they come round so rarely that by the time I've looped everything I think 'but i won't see another comiccon for nearly a year! am I sure I've bought enough geeky stuff?!' haha You've got some pretty awesome purchases, the sting blade is soooo cool X3 How are you managing not to carry it around with you? XD
    My comiccon haul this year consisted of mostly japanese snacks and pokemon cards. I think my favourite buy was some steampunk goggles though x3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeeeeeees Comiccon! So glad you went even with no one to go with, sometimes that's better as it gives you more chance to look at what you want to look at and move on from the boring stuff XD
    I too know the struggle of taking photos of cos-players, there are so many awesome ones but i don't want to hassle people for pictures i'll probably never show to the world XD Like you, I jump in when they are posing for other people :x
    Comiccon spend can be an issue as well as they come round so rarely that by the time I've looped everything I think 'but i won't see another comiccon for nearly a year! am I sure I've bought enough geeky stuff?!' haha You've got some pretty awesome purchases, the sting blade is soooo cool X3 How are you managing not to carry it around with you? XD
    My comiccon haul this year consisted of mostly japanese snacks and pokemon cards. I think my favourite buy was some steampunk goggles though x3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not taking the sword everywhere is difficult! But I kinda don't want people calling the cops on me XD They had a few steampunk things at armageddon but nothing that really struck my fancy, maybe next time. I wish they'd had a japenese snack stand, they did have american but I see that stuff quite a lot over here. Then again if they did have snacks that had caught my eye I would have spent waaay more so maybe it's a good thing they weren't there XD

      Delete