Friday 27 March 2015

Sunshine, Sand and Seagulls


Urgh! Why is it every time I forget to take my camera/phone with me there is something amazing that I want to take photos of! Murphey's law or what.
Today me and Dad took Rush out to the beach for a walk because the weather was pretty good and also so that Dad could see what had changed.
We stopped at a shop on the way to get an ice cream each, candy floss flavour, which was actually pretty good but not as fake tasting as I had hoped.
It was a pretty perfect day for being out at the beach, the sun was shining, there was only a light breeze and there were hardly any people around. I love taking Rush to the beach because I can give him almost total freedom, I still call him in if we see another dog or if he is trying to eat something disgusting but mostly I just let him go where he wants as there is ocean on one side to pen him in and cliffs on the other.
Today as we wandered along with Dad I checked out the tide line. There had been a good influx of shells and I found a few pretty ones to bring home to add to my room as decoration. I don't often pick up shells as I have so many already but the ones I got today were large and unusual for our area and they will also serve as a souvenir to remind me of Dad's visit. 


Rush was having a great time finding old walnuts to eat that had washed up on the shore, splashing through the shallows and chasing the seagulls and other little shore birds. He never gets near them of course but he likes to try. I watched him take off after a particularly large seagull and suddenly realised that he was gaining on it, it splashed into the ocean and tried to swim away from him but of course he caught up to it easily. I thought the poor bird was a goner and perhaps it would have been better for it if Rush had munched it as it turned out to be on deaths door anyway.
Rush once he realised it wasn't going to keep moving wasn't quite sure what to do with his new friend. He gave the tail a few curious sniffs and then moved around to look it in the eye. SNAP! The gull had life in it yet and had made a grab for Rush's nose, luckily though it missed or the poor boy would have been whimpering. The were still out in the waves and Rush was getting out of his depth so I called him back in and we headed further off up the beach.
Once we reached the river which marks my turn around point I found a nice log out of the wind and me and Dad sat down for a little rest and a sun bathe. There were a whole lot of large logs damming the river and they made a bridge of sorts over the river to a little spit of sand on the other side. Of course in my mind all I could see was a challenge! Could I make it across the logs to the sand without falling in and getting wet? Answer.. After a little careful testing, Yes! So for the next bit of fun, could I entice Rush over too? Definitely, but mostly because there was a dead sheep jammed in the logs on the far side!
After I got him away from that we headed back down the beach and soon enough encountered the poor dying seagull again, Rush chased it into the water again and it went under a couple of times before I managed to get close enough to pick the thing up. It was all wet and bedraggled I got the impression it was quite an old bird that had just done it's time as there was no visible injuries on it. The fact that I had it in my hands made Rush all the more interested of course but he really is a lover not a biter and he was very careful when I lowered it down to show him. I can't say the same for the seagull though as it gave Rush a resounding peck on the nose! I wanted the old bird to be left alone to die if that's what it was going to do so I moved him up to the base of the cliff away from the waves and after a final sniff from Rush we left it be. I can't say that I hope it's dead now but I do hope that it isn't suffering, neither me nor Dad had the heart to put it out of it's misery and we may have taken the cowards option of leaving nature to take its course but you can't argue with nature.
After the beach we also stopped in at Bason reserve just to check out the scenery and I made sure I took my phone along this time so that I could get some pictures. 

 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a little adventure, trust Rush to find all the things you don't want him to find XD
    Like you say, hope nature dealt with that seagull...
    Love the last pic too x3

    ReplyDelete