Saturday 7 March 2015

A Bit Of A Freak Storm

So Today Was Odd...
It started out well enough, a little cloudy and some light drizzle which cleared up quick enough to not be too much of a nuisance. I did some chores in town in the morning then returned to the Waites for lunch. I was over ambitious in my estimation of how hungry I was though and made enough for two which I nevertheless ate by myself anyway even if it did take me an hour.
At 12.30 a creepily sudden wind started up like I was in a Pirates of the Caribbean movie with trees creaking and branches snapping and leaves flying through the air. The sun disappeared and dark clouds rolled in. And then the rain came and it poured! I was getting pretty freaked out listening to the house groan so I abandoned ship and headed into town to spend a little time at the library which I hoped would be quieter. I was there for about 2 hours and when I emerged it was brilliant blue skies all round, bright and sunny like an innocent child’s smile after a temper tantrum. It really was bizarre.
I headed back out the farm and wandered through the gardens inspecting the damage. A few large branches had come down but luckily not anywhere too inconvenient. Multitudes of small branches, twigs and leaves litter the lawn and a fair amount of fruit had been sacrificed too. 
 
Inexplicably there was also a bucket in the vegetable garden, I've got no idea where it came from but I put it to use collecting the fallen fruit. I'm actually not much of a fan of fruit and I knew I would never be able to eat a whole bucket load so I treated Mother and threw it over the fence into her paddock. Turns out cows like oranges, who knew.. 

 
As ever Mother cow wasn't keen to share even with her own calf who came over to have a look. Although after a third orange, which I assume was horrendously sour because she started to drool and didn't seem so keen to take a fourth, she allowed the calf in for a look. Little baby cow is only young yet so whole fruit aren't really manageable for her but she did eat the leaves off one of the apples and seemed happy with that. I stood talking to them for a few minutes, taking a few pics and then left them to it. It remains to be seen if they finish the fruit.




No comments:

Post a Comment