Sunday 14 June 2015

Photography Lessons - Day 1

It's day one in my self training for how to use my new Canon SX530 and things are going pretty well considering I have no idea what I'm doing! Jack was keen to help this morning, he's not a very good model though as he was too busy trying to press all the buttons with his teeth.


He did round up two of the girls for a group shot though. Dusky, on the left, takes these things very seriously and made sure her pose was just right before I took the picture!

I had a bit of a play with the settings too and had a go at depth. I think it turned out rather well but I'm not sure what setting I was on when I took it so I guess I'll be doing some more practice.

I never realised that shutter speed could make such a difference. These three pics have no filter on them and they were all taken within minutes of each other. The only thing that I changed was shutter speed!

Also while playing around I found out that I can remotely control my camera while in a wifi area . This one was taken while my camera was sitting on my desk and me and Mum were warming up by the fire. It's a cool little trick but only works in wifi zones I think so I'm yet to determine how useful it will be.

I just had to stop in and visit Rush of course and he is such a good poser when I ask him. He was a bit confused about the size of my new beast though I think, it's rather larger than the phone he is used to.

Last one for now and I really like this one. I actually took this at the gas station. I was being lazy and didn't even bother to get out the ute to take it which is perhaps why I like it so much.
It's quite hard to find subject matter at this time of year with the weather so bleak but if today was anything to go by then I guess I'll find enough to practice on before my holiday.
Do you have tips or tricks for taking great pics that I should know? Let me know in the comments.






2 comments:

  1. Looks like you're off to a good start! The sheep all look really sweet and I love Dusky's pose x3 Rush is also a great model, just look at that face!
    The wifi thing is interesting, maybe it'll be useful in cities where wifi is more prevalent? You'll have to see i suppose! The last picture is really cool, took me a while of looking to see that it wasn't a photo of a billboard but just on the forecourt XD
    Play with shutter speeds while taking pics of moving water, like streams or the sea- something for you to try! ;p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok that sounds like a plan. I'd like to be able to take action shots and they reckon I should use a fast shutter for those. I was thinking of taking Rush for run and seeing if I can get something of him in motion because usually he just blurs. I'll have to let you know how it goes.

      Delete